280-318 William Street, Melbourne 3000.
- Built in 1869-72.
- Designed by J.J. Clark.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no 600493).
The Royal Mint in Melbourne was established as a branch of the Royal Mint in London. Victoria ceased producing currency when it became a state of the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901 but the mint was used to produce Australian currency until 1968 when the Royal Australian Mint was established.
The former Royal Mint building is a spectacular and well-preserved example of boom-period classical styled architecture. The front façade features paired columns with scrolled capitals and am impressive depiction of the Royal Mint coat-of-arms.