Melbourne Theatre Company
140 Southbank Boulevard, Southbank 3006.
- Built in 2009.
- Designed by Ian McDougall of Ashton Raggatt McDougall.
- Contains a 500-seat theatre.
- Not listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The Melbourne Theatre Company was founded in 1953 by John Sumner as the Union Theatre Repertory Company, based at the Union Theatre of the University of Melbourne's Student Union building. The Melbourne Theatre Company building (MTC Theatre) opened in 2009 and was designed to provide a new purpose-built home for the MTC.
The central feature of the building is the Sumner Theatre which is lavishly decorated with coloured LEDs and illumiunated wall panels. The theatre was designed to provide comfort and excellent views for all the audience, with a flexible stage that allows the MTC to present the entire gamut of theatre – from large scale spectacles down to tightly-focussed dramatic performances. The complex also features the Lawler Studio which seats 150 people.
The exterior of this chunky building is covered in a loose 'cage' of white piping which is illuminated at night to terrific effect.