Box Hill Town Hall
1022 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill 3128.
- Built in 1934.
- Designed by J.S. Gawler and J.C.A. Isbett..
- Not listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The Box Hill Town Hall is a good example of the neo-Grec style applied to a major public building with consistency and sophistication.
Box Hill Town Hall is a monumental symmetrical town hall complex featuring a portico recalling neo-Grec forms but being enriched with Moderne ornamentation in the portico capital treatment, lighting, window architraves and interior fitout including balustrading, lighting and plaster work. The building remains largely intact.
In 1994, the City of Box Hill merged with the City of Nunawading and after a small delay, the new City of Whitehorse council decided to move the seat of government to the newer Nunawading Civic Centre in Nunawading.
Box Hill Town Hall is still used as a function hall and remains in the ownership of the City of Whitehorse.