333 Collins Street
333 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000.
- Built in 1892 with tower added in 1990.
- Designed by Lloyd Tayler and Alfred Dunn (1892) and Nelson Architects International and Robert Peck von Hartel Trethowan Pty Ltd. (1990)
- Built for the Commercial Bank of Australia.
- Not listed on the Victorian Heritage Register
The design of this octagonal, domed banking chamber measuring 30 metres high and 20 metres across was the result of a competition run by the Commercial Bank of Australia in 1892. Designed by Lloyd Tayler and Alfred Dunn, the bank took less than a year to construct. The high central lantern which was unobstructed at that time allowed for the interior to be naturally lit so sun beams could illuminate the floral motifs on the Brooks Robinson mosaic floor and highlight the richness of the timbers used in the tellers' desks.
From 1892 until 1987, this magnificent building was the home of the Commercial Bank of Australia. In the 1970's, the chamber was slated for demolition but was saved because of an active campaign by the National Trust. In 1987, the Commercial Bank of Australia sold the building to Becton Corporation, who immediately made plans for a 129 metre tower above as well as the restoration of the banking chamber below.
At a cost of $600 million, a 33-storey tower was constructed over the banking chamber. No expense was spared in the restoration or the finishes used throughout. The new building opened in 1990 as Collins Exchange. As a tribute to the banking chamber below, two large copper domes were constructed on the new towers which were clad in fine marble.