1850 Store and Residence
328-330 King Street, Melbourne 3000.
- Constructed in 1850.
- Architect unknown.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no. H0680).
Along with St. Francis' Catholic Church, this humble house and shop remain instact as one of a handful of pre-Gold Rush buildings in Melbourne. Its survival for more than 160 years in a city that was founded a mere 15 years prior is truly remarkable.
This building is of immense significiance to the State of Victoria.
The original house and shop consisted of four rooms which were extended to six some time in the 1880's. Construction is of hand-made bricks that have been cement-rendered. The building exhibits some modest fenestration and cornice in a neo-Georgian style.
The shop remains in a near-original condition and is still owned by the family which had it built generations ago.