487-495 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000.
- Constructed in 1891.
- Designed by Charles D'Ebro.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no. 601995).
The Winfield Building is an essential component of the Collins Street row of heritage-listed buildings, which also include The Rialto, South Australian Insurance Building, Record Chambers and The Olderfleet.
The Winfield building sits on a corner with what was once a laneway between itself and The Rialto but now forms the entrance to a hotel.
The Winfield Building was originally known as the Wool Exchange Building and is believed to have been Melbourne's first wool exchange and auction house. It was renamed in the 1920's.
The front section to Collins Street is all that remains of the original building; the rear section was replaced by a 14-storey extension in 1984, part of the redevelopment of the site as a hotel. The steep pediment at the roof level is typical of Queen Anne style buildings.
The Winfield Building is significant as one of the few commercial buildings designed in the Queen Anne style which was usually employed for domestic buildings in Melbourne.