North Melbourne Town Hall
521 Queensberry Street, North Melbourne 3051.
- Built in 1883
- Designed by George R. Johnson.
- Now used as an arts centre.
This building was constructed for the Borough of Hotham; later the City of North Melbourne before it was amalgamated in 1905 with the City of Melbourne. It has been used as a community centre for many years and now also includes an art gallery, the North Melbourne Post Office and a range of shops which are unified by an attractive cast-iron veranda.
The North Melbourne Town Hall is an impressive building in the academic classical tradition. The lower and upper levels are separated by an ornamental cornice and given separate treatment.
The building is currently used as an arts centre.