Heidelberg Town Hall (The Centre Ivanhoe)
275 Upper Heidelberg Road, Ivanhoe 3079.
- Built in 1937.
- Designed by Peck & Kemter and A.C. Leith & Bartlett.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no H2077).
In the 1930's the Shire of Heidelberg experienced rapid growth due to suburbanisation and in 1934, the City of Heidelberg was proclaimed. In order to service a rapidly-growing population and project a modern image, the City of Heidelberg commissioned two architectural firms to design a new civic centre in Ivanhoe.
Constructed on the highest hill in Ivanhoe, the hall projects a monumental image. The hall and council offices are clearly delineated by the building's design and a large porte-cochère (built in 1994) stands in front of the entrance to the hall. The building has been clad in cream brick and is terminated by a 28-metre clock-tower that is illuminated with green neon.
The Heidelberg Town Hall is an excellent example of the Modern style of architecture popular during the inter-war years and can be compared to Burnley Horticultural College in Richmond. The building won the Royal Australian Institute of Architects' Street Architecture medal in 1939. The RAIA commented on the strong character of the building and commended the texture and colour of the brick elevations.
In 1994, the City of Heidelberg merged with parts of the Shire of Diamond Valley and Shire of Eltham and is now known as the City of Banyule. The hall is now known as The Centre Ivanhoe and is hired-out for receptions and functions.