2-76 Bouverie & Swanston Streets, Melbourne 3000.
- Constructed in 1864.
- Architect unknown.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no 603939).
The Carlton Brewery was erected in 1864 (replacing older brewery buildings on the site) and was progressively added-to over the next 50 years. Brewing ceased on the site in 1987 and since then large portions of the site, now owned by the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) have been demolished or allowed to collapse.
There really isn't very much left of the old brewery site except the front wall in Bouverie Street (which has been modified in parts) and the old Malthouse in Swanston Street (built in 1905).
Both buildings are in an awful state; the brewery lost a section of roof in late 2003 when it slowly collapsed over a period of three weeks (observed from the tram in Swanston Street).
There have been various plans to redevelop the site and restore the historic remains of the brewery but progress has been slow. In 2011, the RMIT Design Hub was opened on the site and abuts the old malthouse on Swanston Street.