Bank of Australasia
394 Collins Street, Melbourne 3000.
- Constructed in 1876.
- Designed by Reed & Barnes.
- Listed on the Victorian Heritage Register (no. 603264).
The Bank of Australasia is now known as the Australia & New Zealand (ANZ) Bank.
The former Bank of Australasia building is of architectural significance as an example of conservative Renaissance Revival design applied to a corner location. The top three storeys were added in 1929 and designed to match the original building in style and materials, however the interior was completely reconstructed.
A mezzanine level was added within the ground floor banking chamber with ornate metal balustrades and a light well was built through the centre of the building culminating in a glazed sky light over the banking chamber.
The ANZ Bank sold the building in 1974, ending 98 years of occupancy. The building is now the Sebel Hotel.