Baby Health Centre
318-324 Lygon Street, Brunswick East 3057.
- Built in 1939.
- Probably designed by City of Brunswick council architects.
- Not listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.
The Baby Health Centre in Brunswick opened in February 1939 and cost £4000 to construct. The complex is a very early example of a purpose-built dual-occupancy building combining a baby health facility and community centre in the one building and is believed to be the oldest extant Moderne style, purpose-built health centre in Victoria.
The Baby Health Centre features a rendered capped parapet and a terracotta tile hipped roofline. The front elevation is dominated by a semi-circular bay window with metal framed windows and a painted projecting rendered lintel. The entrance, west of the bay, is defined by a small tower with a projecting rendered lintel, rendered capping and a City of Brunswick plaque. Red wrought-iron letters spelling "BABY HEALTH CENTRE" decorate the central parapet.
The Baby Health Centre contains a central sun room which looks out over a rear garden with smaller rooms provided for the infant welfare sister's consultations and as an office. The projecting wing forms part of the entry, and provides a place for strollers and prams. Entrance to the building is via a ramped double pram-friendly door and the whole building sits back on the property within a garden setting.
The building was nominated by the City of Moreland for protection by Heritage Victoria in 1998 but the nomination has not been accepted. The building remains in excellent condition inside and out and is remarkably intact. In 2009, the neighbouring factory was demolished and a large apartment block now over-shadows the property from the north.
The building is still used as an infant welfare centre by the City of Moreland council.